California Lutheran High School is a proud supporter of all the arts, but specializes in music performance and drama. Students may participate in the following arts programs. (Programs marked with an asterisk are classes that meet during the school day to practice and are taken for credit.)
- The Exaltation Choir is directed by Steve Rosenbaum. This traveling choir performs at our area WELS churches and for CLHS chapels and concerts. Exaltation membership is by audition only.
- The Concert Choir* is also directed by Steve Rosenbaum. This choir practices during the CLHS school day and performs at CLHS concerts. Concert Choir membership is open to all students.
- The Freshman Choir* is a branch of freshman music class. All freshman are involved in this choir and perform for the Christmas Sacred and Spring Sacred concerts. The Freshman Choir is directed by Steve Rosenbaum.
- The Laudation Bell Choir is directed by Andrew Aguilar. This traveling handbell choir performs at our area WELS churches and for CLHS chapels and concerts. Laudation membership is by audition only.
- Since 2008, students have had the opportunity to participate in Praise Band. This group plays contemporary Christian music with guitars, bass, percussion, and vocals. The Praise Band performs at Christmas and Easter concerts, as well as on Pops concert evening. Praise Band is directed by Andrew Aguilar.
- CLHS provides the unique opportunity for students to take piano lessons during the regular school day. Students have the option to take piano lessons for credit. Students who take lessons for credit are required to perform in both the winter and spring piano recitals and to play a hymn for chapel. Students taking for credit are graded. Students not taking for credit have the option to play for chapel and recitals, but are not given a course grade.
- Drama is a three credit course offered both semesters. First semester drama can be taken once and focuses on the history and performance of a drama. Second semester drama can be taken multiple times and focuses on performance, set building, lighting, and sound coordination. Each May, the drama class puts on two performances of a play, once for a group of elementary students and once for the general public. Past performances include "Donovan's Daughters" and "Alter Egos: The Do's and Don'ts of an American Wedding."
- Fall Drama Production - Each Fall a extra-curricular drama presentation is produced and presented.
Concerts and Recitals
- The Christmas Sacred Concert takes place on a Sunday afternon in December. All choirs and bell choirs perform at this annual worship service. Selections for this concert celebrate our Savior's birth.
- The Winter Piano Recital is held on a Sunday afternoon in January. This informal recital has a relaxed atmosphere where our piano students perform a piece of their choosing.
- The Spring Sacred Concert is held on Palm Sunday afternoon. Featuring Lent and Easter selections, this annual concert focuses on Jesus' death and glorious resurrection. All choirs and bell choirs perform in this worship service.
- The Spring Piano Recital is held on a Sunday afternoon in May. This piano recital is the more formal of the two piano recitals. Each student performs a memorized classical piece and a hymn selection.
- The Pops Concert is held on the Friday night before graduation. The Pops Concert is a fun-filled evening of entertainment. Students and the occasional teacher perform songs in a talent-show type concert. Yearly themes determine selections. Past years' themes include "Here Comes the Sun," "Tappin' My Foot," and "The Beat Goes On."
* These classes meet during the school day to practice and are taken for credit.
Dates and times for this year's concerts can be found on the CLHS Home Page, under Calendar.